Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Proposed Rule & League Changes for next year

Hi all - With the regular season nearly done it is time to consider any changes we might want to make in regards to the league. I have a couple of ideas to kick it off:
  1. The addition of Franchise Players. Since this is shaping up to be a dynasty league with many of you returning for next year, I would like to add the possibility of adding franchise players. Each team can designate 1 player as their 'franchise' player making them unavailable to the draft. Teams would be required to keep their franchise player a certain number of weeks to be determined by league vote, with the exception of season ending injuries, at which time a team could waive that player for the season, but could designate them as their franchise player the following year.
  2. The addition of Special Teams. Teams would draft Special teams, just like a defense and these special teams would be scored on return yards and td's.
  3. Switch from QB's to team QB's. Teams would draft a teams QB's, meaning all stats generated by any QB for the starting team would be calculated.
  4. Switch to 2 starting wide recievers & 1 starting TE as opposed to 3 wr/te.
  5. The addition of performance scoring. This is open to discussion, but essentially, players would be granted extra points based on performance (yards over x, etc.)
  6. Limit the number of weekly transactions, either trades or add-drops.
  7. Upgrade to a plus league. This would grant all teams access to live scoring as well as advanced scoring settings.
Please note that all these changes would be dependant on league vote.

Any other ideas? Please feel free to post them in the comments or email me.
The Commish.

6 comments:

Diane White said...

Am I returning next year? You bet I am. This has made the long football watching Sunday a lot more fun. My thoughts:
1. I really like the franchise player idea. We should be 'rewarded' for choosing well. And I agree that if one is injured (Tom Brady) the team should be able to franchise them for the next season anyway, should they choose to.
2. Special teams would be different...might shake things up a bit from this year and give us more to worry about. Why not.
3. Team QB's. I have always been in favor of this. Honestly, if your QB makes one play and is out for the rest of the game, it's not very sporting that you get a big "0" for that position. Teams get to use their back up QB's...why can't we?
4. performance scoring: I don't know enough about this to have an opinion, but I'm game if everyone else is.
5. Upgrade. This would mean paying dues, correct? I'm willing...what do the rest of you think?

Unknown said...

One other thing I would like to try and do is move from ten teams to twelve. Having team QB's would make running 12 team league easier.

The Watchmen said...

1. I'm all for it. No real comments to make here...
2. I think this would be a cool idea. It would add more complexity to the league, but we all have enough experience to handle it.
3. I guess it helps make up for situations like the one we had with Brady this year, and if we end up expanding to 12 players we're gonna really be scraping the bottom of the barrel. It also makes it possible to take a team with a rookie and not be totally hosed.
4. I guess that's an okay change. I'm somewhat neutral as it makes it harder to draft...it's a lot more complexity than just adding special teams, but its not unworkable. Actually, as I think about it I'm gonna vote no on this change.
5. Sounds cool to me.
6. I thought this was already an unwritten rule? Might as well make it official.
7. I'm but a poor college student, but I regret not getting this in the first place so I vote yes on a plus league even if that means dues.

Unknown said...

An update on the Franchise players... New teams and teams choosing not to designate a franchise player would be allowed one pick in a supplemental draft (one round prior to the actual draft)

Bee said...

Votes no to special teams. It adds a level of complexity & doubtful utility. Yes, punts & kicks returned for TD are exciting, but we have enough unpredictable left field results as it is.

Bee said...

Expanded & elucidated.

1) Franchise Player sounds good.
2) No to special teams. I want more of a strategy game than a wild card game. Special teams adds unpredictable TDs.
3) Yes to Team QB. I think the backup in case of injury would be good.
4) Not sure. If we're adding 2 teams do we want to add to the complexity of the draft?
5) Not next season. Keep it in the "maybe later" file. I think we're in this for the long haul. We don't need to totally change the game in one season.
6) Not sure if we need to formalize this. Three seems reasonable if we want to limit it. Exception for multiple major injuries?
7) Upgrade. I'm intending to get "statracker" again, & the draft package. May need to be unanimous or decided by private e-mail to the Commish.