Thursday, October 9, 2008

FF 101 - Getting your starting lineup together

Getting your starting lineup together week after week can be a bit of a pain, especially with byes, injuries and in some cases suspensions. How do you deal with this?

I use several tools. One of the best is is the 'Game Day Decision' Tab on your team pages at Yahoo Fantasy Football. Using this tool is kind of like using the wisdom of the crowd, allowing you to review your players against the whole Yahoo Fantasy Football universes opinion of that player.

Using this page, you can see how many other teams are starting that player, whether that players stock is trending up or down and a quick rating of the player (o-5 stars).

Another tool I like is the projections by position @ Fantasy Football Toolbox. I also keep track of little things, like injury reports (NFL.com) and defensive stats. Using these three things I can usually sort out who to start. For example, if a teams best cornerback of my opposing team is out for the game, I may start my 3rd wide receiver if I think the CB's backup is weak, in spite of the opposing teams defensive rankings. Or if my number 2 running backs are about equally rated, I may review the opposing teams record against the run.

Granted, there is a lot of other stuff an experienced fantasy manager might do as well, but a key to winning in this game is to trust the data, not the player. Even then, there is no guarantee of a win, as I noted in an earlier post On Conventional Wisdom. A lot of times the game can deal you a harsh blow (See Trent Edwards, last week).

The Commish

2 comments:

The Watchmen said...

Having just been introduced to FFToolbox, I have to say I think it's the better tool. Game-day decisions wasn't directly responsible for my two losses, but it played one week by advising me to bench Addai when playing him would give me a win. I dunno, but I think I'll be using Toolbox from now on :D.

Unknown said...

I really like the weekly articles, especially the week busts, which are pretty insightful regarding potential defensive pitfalls for my offensive players.